ALBANY, N.Y. -- Following are the ECAC Women's Hockey Championship policies pertaining to seeding and tie-breaking procedures.
Seeding for championship competition is based on total points accumulated during league contests. In the event teams are tied in the final regular-season standings, the following tiebreakers (listed in order of application) shall be used to determine seeding. (Note: Only League games apply):
- Comparison of game results between tied teams (head to head).
- Comparison of results of games against the top four teams.
- Comparison of results of games against the top eight teams.
- Goal differential in head-to-head competition.
- Goal differential in games against the top four teams.
- Goal differential in games against the top eight teams.
In the case of ties among three or more schools, the criteria will be used in order until a team, or teams, is separated from the pack. At that point, the process will begin anew to break the "new" tie. In other words, when a four-way tie becomes a three-way tie, the three-way tie is treated as a "new" tie and the process begins with the first criterion.